Friday, August 15, 2008

Ice Blue Vintage Sherman Rhinestone Jewelry



Of all my Sherman jewelry, the bracelets are the pieces that I wear more often than any other; to the theater, out for dinner, to parties or any celebration or social event where I need that extra glitter to dress up my otherwise, classic suits.

When I first started collecting, I was more interested in the color rather than the actual size of each bracelet. What I found was that I kept reaching for the longer bracelets when making my selections. Anything under 7" would fit my wrist but there was no extra length allowing it to drape gracefully down over my hand.  It didn't take long before I realized that in order for me to actually enjoy wearing the bracelets I was collecting, I would have to be more selective about their length. This does restrict the number of bracelets I can purchase but does mean that I will end up with a collection that will be worn and enjoyed.  Now I won't even consider purchasing anything under 7 1/4" in length and less than 3/4" wide. If I can find one that is longer or wider that suits my budget, all the better but I know from experience, anything smaller will just sit in my jewelry box.

If you are particular about the length of your rhinestone bracelets and are buying online, be sure to inquire about the width and length being certain to have the seller either include or exclude the tongue portion of the clasp in the length measurement (this can make a 1/4" to 1/2" difference). I find that my money is better spent on Sherman jewelry that I will actually wear although everyone has their own preferences when selecting which Sherman jewelry to buy. 

The pretty ice blue bracelet pictured today was the perfect fit for me measuring 7 1/2" in length and being 1 1/4" wide.  I love the super flexible lacey style and marquise stones set in a North/South fashion.  This lovely bracelet combines both marquise stones in medium blue with medium blue aurora borealis and round rhinestones in a medium aquamarine with larger blue aurora borealis.  Considering how common blue is, this bracelet is exceptional in style and condition.  The earrings are a perfect match and also in mint condition.

The blue necklace and earrings pictured are probably one of my best eBay buys so far.  This beautiful set was listed with a low starting bid and I ended up being the only one who bid. Somehow, other collectors overlooked it, perhaps because of its more common color or because the auction closed mid afternoon.  Whatever the reason, this necklace is my favorite blue one to date and also in exceptional, unworn condition.  The center is large and combines deep blue with aquamarine blue marquise rhinestones with a combination of dark blue and medium blue round rhinestones, some with aurora borealis but most without. The earrings are the perfect match and are in mint condition.

Everything featured today is set in heavy rhodium plate, in unworn condition, and all pieces are clearly marked Sherman.

I know that blue may not be that highly sought after by Sherman Jewelry collectors but these two sets clearly demonstrate the classic beauty and elegance Gustave Sherman designs are famous for. 



No comments: